Error trying to expand Webs

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM
I am trying to expand Webs under my site collection and I always get this error:

Access is Denied.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

I have logged into the site collection as a user with full rights to the enitre site collection so I am not sure why I am getting this error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM

rolltidega, did you find a solution to this problem? We are also experiencing this when attempting to expand the site collection object of a site we freshly created.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Okay, we just resolved this. We had our domain accounts as users on the SharePoint root web, but not the server local account that was attempting to access SharePoint locally on the server machine. Once we fixed the access and could open up a browser on the server machine itself to browse the web, this problem was resolved.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Also having this issue but don't quite understand the solution posted by zmullet (3 years ago). I'm just not that into the complexities of server accounts. I'm sure they're obvious when you know how.

I interpreted the solution as needing to add NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE as a user in SharePoint (Site Settings -> People and Groups -> ). That's how I interpreted it but I guess that's not what is meant because it didn't work!

I really need to get this application working to undo some otherwise irreversible column adds to content types.