documenting your farm

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM

SPM2007 is a great tool to dive into the sharepoint settings and modify them.

I think many admin's are also looking for a tool which can 'documentate' all settings which are
made in a sharepoint farm. A great start is could be export all setting's to XML.

Is it possible SPM2007 get's such a feature or does anybody know a product which
has this feature.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Documentate? Well, I would also like to generate a report or reports from this tool.  All the hard work has been done by Carsten, so we (the rest of the codeplex community) will have to step up and make a nice xml export.  Anybody have any suggestions on the simplest way to iterate the treeview to get XML down to the property level?  I'll certainly try to find some time to do it and share the code, but don't expect anything in the near future.

Awesome tool Carsten!

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I'd love to see a way to docuement our SharePoint farm.  We are hosting several Sharepoint sites where we also do development and testing so we have a situation where we have the "same" farm in 3 locations:  Dev, Test and Live.  Keeping the sharePoint settings consistent in these 3 envirements has been challanging.  If we could export settings as XML, then it would be easy to use a comparison tool (Like Beyond Compare 3) to see any differences... It could slo be used to import and export certain subsets of settings.

Has anyone seen any other products like this?